Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On Taking Notes

Now that I am back at work at NarrowStep, the TV over the Internet company, I find myself drinking from the firehose, rapidly taking notes while learning a new industry. Here is a tip that makes my notes much more organized and productive.
  1. If an item is particularly important or insightful, I put a star next to it.

  2. If an item requires further research or resolution, I put a question mark next to it.

  3. If an item requires follow-up, I put a ballot box (open square) next to it. When the item is completed, I check it off.

  4. If I have assigned a follow-up item to someone, I put an open circle next to it (similar to the ballot box but a circle rather than a square). In the notes, I indicate who is responsible. When the item is completed, I check it off.

Now you can quickly scan your notes for important points, questions, or tasks to follow-up on. No, I can't believe I am writing on taking notes. Yes, this has made a HUGE difference in my ability to organize my thoughts and not let anything drop through the cracks. Try it. You won't go back.

No comments: